Adapting to the life of self-isolation: some tips from a hermit

Amidst the spread of COVID-19, the novel coronavirus that started in Wuhan, China and has now spread across international waters, igniting a global pandemic, people are pushed to remain indoors and distance themselves from the outside world.

As a person who has done social distancing all her life, I would say I'm an expert in being comfortable in isolation and being away from the people and the outside world. If you know me, I had formerly worked as a freelancer writer working from the comforts of my own home. And even when I did get a job where I did have to go outside and socialize, I still managed to always remain withdrawn to my room like the introverted hermit I am.

Sooo, since we're currently in an outbreak and people are 'self-quarantining' by staying at home, I decided to share a few helpful tips to make the hermit-lifestyle more comfortable and easy - especially for those who aren't used to staying at home for a long period of time.


Reorganize your closet

Now that you have time in your hands, utilize this to deep-tidy areas of your house you hadn't had time to do. Take your closet for example - it's a place in your room where you pick your clothes and throw in your clothes. If you're like me and tend to get disorganized, my closet can accumulate mess and a pile of clothes hidden in the corner you didn't even know about. 

But the closet can be an infinite storage space for anything - if you make the space. Reorganize your closet and make room for your other things you've been meaning to store. A great example would be bags - my room is littered with my graphic totes and tiny pin-covered backpacks and I had nowhere else to put them but at the end of my bed. 


So I bought new hangers, hung some of my clothes, and made space at the top shelf to neatly store my bags.

Journaling


This time of self-isolation can be used for a time of introspection. I've always stressed how important and impactful journaling can be and can help lead a more mindful life. Ever since I got into planning and bought myself the Happy Planner, as well as the Passion Planner (let me know if you want to see a review!), I've been spending most of my time writing and journaling my days and thoughts.


There's not many to do when you're confined in your own home, but look for opportunities to be grateful for some of the little things or learn something new, whether if it's about someone you're in quarantine with or perhaps something about your house/apartment, and write them down! Not many notice or realize some of the things that happens around us in our own homes.

Catch up with your TBR

If you're like me and you've been stockpiling books, ever expanding their bookshelves, but never reading those books, use this free time to read! If you have a list of TBR (to be read) books, then catch up! I will be posting a book recommendations list soon!

BAKE!

If you have left over flour, sugar, or chocolate chips, then let's bake! I downloaded the TASTY app on my phone, which is an app that provides recipes along with one of those fascinating and aesthetically-pleasing cooking videos we see on the Instagram. They list the ingredients you need, in which you can purchase from your phone and then pick up at your nearest Walmart! Cooking and baking has never been easier thanks to this app! Give it a try and become your resident's cook. 


Facetime a friend

Confinement can make you feel lonely. Keep in contact with your friends, coworkers, and your families! Uplift each other, provide support and help for one another - this a very tough time, as lives are at risk, businesses are closing, people are forced to stay at home, and cities are going on lockdown. Talk about movies, video call whilst watching a movie, bake together, cook together, do mukbang, do on-nomi (what Japanese refer to as "digital drinking"), and be yourself. 


Let me know if you have any other tips and ways to adapt to the life of self-isolation! 

3 comments

  1. Hi Nicole!

    Just like you, I've started to fix my closet and sort out items that I don't use anymore. That task just seems like a cycle! (we let go, buy, and sort out later!). Tried my hand at baking as well and made banana bread, but turned out to be more of a cake :P

    I've been trying out my hand on Macro Photography and reading a lot of blogs, like yours! I hope you're safe and healthy despite this global bug.

    Let's keep in touch!

    Cheers,
    Hanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hanna!
      That sounds so great, love to hear that you're also organizing and de-cluttering! Banana bread is also a recipe on my list-to-bake :)
      And Macro photography sounds so interesting - I'd love to hear more about that!

      Delete

Thank you all for your lovely comments :) I will get back to most of you as soon as possible, so make sure you are checking back x

Instagram

nicole isabel. Theme by STS.