How I'm feeling in quarantine

At Home
The pandemic has been taking a toll on us all; we have all been withdrawn inside in our own homes out of fear of being infected or through being proactive in flattening the curve. My parents are essential workers and are constantly exposed to those potentially infected or are carriers of the virus - leading me to stay home as much as possible and quarantine as a means of preventing it to spread.


Quarantine has definitely affected me mentally. I was accustomed to the routine of waking up at 5am and driving to work three days a week, as well as going out to places like studying and writing in a cafe, exploring new restaurants and places in Orlando, and hanging out with my boyfriend. But that's all changed now that I'm obliged to stay home. 

I'm always one for new routines and so I viewed this quarantine as an opportunity, now with all the time and space, to focus on my school work and some projects that I've been meaning to work on (read more for my project I'm launching soon!). I've had the pleasure to do so and catch up with school, but staying at home for so long has slowly deteriorated my mental energy. 

The anxiety and uncertainty has been a part of it - when is this going to end? When am I going back to work? How are we going to recover from this? Will I still get paid? All these unanswered questions has been influencing a series of existential crises the past few weeks and has had an effect on my work. It's not easy being constantly positive in an unknown time like this, and there were times when I couldn't get up and be productive or had mental breakdowns because of how sensitive this situation one was.

Despite what's happening, the only thing I could do was carry on with my life. Of course, it's not the same as before, but I continued completing my school work, I continued writing poetry and articles (see my most recent one about how the pandemic is affecting Asian-Americans), and I continued to work on a project I've been meaning to work on for a long time. 

I mentioned in my previous post that I was starting a book club called The Wallflower Collective. It was a club that aimed to encourage more people to read and be creatively engaged in reading. After some thought and being inspired, I wanted to expand it into an online magazine.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR SUBMISSIONS

The website is under construction, but we need content to fill it up! If you are a writer like myself, or a photographer, poet, artist, journalist - we need your talent! Please look for more information here! If you have any questions, please contact me

Anyways...

I'm done with my Spring classes, so I'll have more time to work on this project, review your submissions, and also relax every once in a while. 

Some advice from me to you during this time of stress and anxiety: take some time off. Get your mind off things by continuing what you love to do, or perhaps try something new. Restore and preserve your energy and I hope y'all stay safe and well ❤️.

10 comments

  1. 1) I've been asking the same questions as you about this whole situation and working on new projects are super helpful these days, 2) really LOVE your blog theme, 3) I'm so excited for your magazine & can't wait to see it! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thank you so much!! And yes I agree, this magazine is a project that I've had in my head for a long time and being in quarantine was the perfect time to work on it! I'm also excited to get it launched, which should hopefully be soon :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh I feel like writing is such a good way to pass time and reflect in quarantine, especially the way you have here regarding your feelings. I'll be reading your article on how the virus is affecting asian-americans. Thanks for sharing xx

    -M
    MEGHAN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meghan,
      Writing is such a cathartic experience, and I enjoy writing - whether it's about the simple moments or something that's completely fictional! And thank you so much for taking the time to read my article, I appreciate it :)

      Delete
  3. I like the topics you share and are happy for you xx

    prosphairshop human hair wig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemme just say i love your blog, everytime i come here its like being in a cute cafe or in nature...

    anyways, i hope your family can get through this and be healthy and safe.. they are amazing. also thats an amazing project! i hope to contribute to it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I love that description! :)

      I also pray for you and your family's health and safety. And I can't wait to see your contributions!

      Delete
  5. It really is a crazy time. I love how you've decided to start a new project! The Wallflower Collective is such a creative idea--I've subscribed! I'm super interested in seeing the content! Stay positive doll and safe! Thanks for sharing your feelings and events coming up.

    Des | https://www.itsbetterinheels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Des,
      With all the time in my hands, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to start this project! And thank you so much - I appreciate the love and support :)

      Delete

Thank you all for your lovely comments :) I will get back to most of you as soon as possible, so make sure you are checking back x

Instagram

nicole isabel. Theme by STS.