18 Things I learned in 18 Years

This week, I had my birthday in which I celebrated my becoming into a young adult - blossoming into an independent and mature grown-up just like my older sister and my parents.


Lol just kidding. I'm still a 13 year-old-looking klutz who still procrastinates, struggles to get out of bed and oftentimes refuses responsibility. Although 18 is the age of greater responsibility and independence, I am none of those things and I still act like a tween child who continues to be immature and watches Cartoon Network up to this time.

But that's okay. It's okay to not be the person everyone expects you to be at this age. Being only young and just starting to grow - not yet in university, only doing freelance and still dependent on my parents - there is still a long way to go. Even though I'm at the age where I'm officially considered an adult, I feel no change (mentally and physically lol) except for a heavy weight that's weighing my shoulders down.

But as I'm growing and gaining experiences and knowledge, I'm learning how to handle this weight. With having moved to the States, I've been thrown in the deep end and these past couple months, since my big change, were where I learned and grown the most.

So, I've gathered a list of everything I know and learned so far in my lifetime - things I've learned from childhood, things I've learned from my awkward mistakes and embarrassing moments and things I've learned from my first crush to boys in general. Here are 18 things I've learned in 18 years...

  1. Expectations are useless and will never be reached unless you have time and the energy to make the effort for it to happen. Don't wait for it to happen.
  2. Not everything will go your way. Just be patient and wait for right moment.
  3. All your awkward moments will be dismissed or forgotten - so that time I wet myself in front of the school at the age of 10 is history accumulated in dust that no one mentions anymore.
  4. Not everyone will agree with you.
  5. It's okay to not be liked - it's much better to love yourself first.
  6. If possible, put yourself first. You're not other people's puppet. 
  7. Don't overthink about what others think about you. You're here to impress only yourself, not everyone.
  8. Some boys are not worth your time.
  9. Don't feel sorry for the people who make you feel negative about yourself.
  10. Patience truly is a virtue - good things will come if you wait.
  11. If you genuinely want something, don't think just get out your way and do it. 
  12. If you want to say something, don't be scared to say it and just say it. You're entitled to your opinion.
  13. F*ck it. Do whatever you want.
  14. Your skin and your body belongs to you and you have the right to choose how you display yourself.
  15. Not everything will be perfect, so might as well make mistakes.
  16. Never let opportunities pass - who knows what would've happened.
  17. It's completely okay to be alone and single - your value isn't determined by how many friends you have, how many relationships you've been in, how many likes you get and how many people follow you.
  18. Life is one big improvisation - it's not a 'plan' or a structured essay. You're free to make your own decisions and choose any path. 
Have you got any more life lessons you've recently learned, or have always adhered to since you were young? Let me know!

Post a Comment

Thank you all for your lovely comments :) I will get back to most of you as soon as possible, so make sure you are checking back x

Instagram

nicole isabel. Theme by STS.