Musings: Transitioning

This past couple of days have been the most hectic couple of days that I've experienced in my life so far. I have many many many many things that I really really really want to share, but I've decided to condense it a bit because otherwise I would've written a novella.

You know I've told you about my move to America? Well, it's happened. It's happened very quickly, in fact. It's hard to explain how I'm feeling because of the overwhelms of everything being thrown at you all at the same time, but now that I've finished my first distressing day in my new life I'll try and pluck out the strings of thoughts from the past several days. 

Day -3 of Transition
Okay, so added to the stress of stripping our house and boxing our items is packing for a last minute stupid-but-worth-it-kind of weekend trip to Paris. Of course, my sister had to book it 3 days before starting a completely new life but at least it will put us into ease especially during an agonising and stressful time. 

We travelled to Paris through the Euro Tunnel and got to our very Parisian apartment through the Paris Métro. Après, we had dinner in a local restaurant by the Eiffel Tower, where we watched it sparkle, and ate foie gras which was delishhh.

Day -2 of Transition
Once rested and ready, we had a taste of the Parisian life - travelling (in style) around the city through the Métro, walking along the beautiful quaint streets of Paris, visiting famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, Musée du Louvre and Notre Dame and having a lovely lunch at La Chaumière where we also had foie gras.







Oh, and one little thing... If you are ever in Paris, especially near famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower, if women approach you with a clipboard then DO NOT give them any money (they are gypsy scammers and one almost stole our €50)! 

Day -1 of Transition
After getting back from Paris, we pretty much spent the day sorting everything out.

I got in touch with my friends and spent our last time together. 

Day 1 of Transition

It's a weird feeling when you hear everyone around speaking another accent, driving on the other side of the road and seeing how everything seems bigger. For some reason I felt numb - no sadness, no excitement, no happiness. Nothing. Maybe I'm still adjusting to this new life, or I'm still overwhelmed by everything that's happened and the culture shocks from Paris and now America but I really hope I'll adapt soon and feel normal again and perhaps make some new friends. 

Any American readers out there, especially ones from Orlando, or anyone who has been through a similar experience - any advice to stay sane? 

Nicole ᵔᴥᵔ

3 comments

  1. Ahh welcome to the USA!!!! I'm so excited for you. Paris looks fabulous by the way-- so jealous, I want to go haha. It's ok to feel nothing I think, just keep taking it one step at a time you know? You're doing really well, remember to be proud of yourself-- it's a lot at once. Thinking of you always <3
    -Vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vivian, it means a lot that you're helping me through this and I'm so glad you've become my first American friend! I'm trying to take baby steps, but the more things about the US I discover i can get overexcited which can also make me overwhelmed :D I feel like I'm beginning to adjust to this new life now - except the weather because it's too hot for me :3
      - nicole ᵔᴥᵔ

      Delete
    2. Ah yeah haha-- so many new things could definitely be super overwhelming. Ah yeah, will probably only get hotter as summer progresses. Maybe take a trip to somewhere a little milder soon so you don't overheat :) Find some nice iced tea brands to keep you cool. I'm glad you're adjusting otherwise, I'm so honored to be your first American friend <3

      Delete

Thank you all for your lovely comments :) I will get back to most of you as soon as possible, so make sure you are checking back x

Instagram

nicole isabel. Theme by STS.