☀Summer reads☀


Now that it's summer, I have plenty of time to indulge myself in books, and books, and books! I've been reading a wide range of genres from good ole' classic literatures, dystopian novels, epic poems and manga. I really want to read as many different genres this summer, so if anyone has any recommendations I would love to hear them! Here are the books that I've been reading so far:

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov


This particular novel has a very unusual plot; it's about a middle-aged man torn between being a pedophile and being in love because he has an infatuation for a 12 year old girl. Despite this bizarre story, I think it's a very interesting read with an expressive style of writing and that has become one of my favourite classics.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury


I've just started reading this recently and I'm only midst through the first chapter but so far it's already captivating. It's set in a futuristic society whereby a guy named Guy Montag is a fireman who destroys printed books, seen as an illegal commodity, and then burns down the houses in which they were hidden. I opened this book because of the mass amount of reviews of how impactful and compelling it was, and so far it already has my attention.

The Odyssey by Homer


The Odyssey is one of two parts of an epic poem by Greek philosopher Homer and it's about hero, Odysseus, and his journey home after the ten-year Trojan War. It is a sequel to the other part, Iliad, set during the Trojan War which mainly focuses on the quarrel between King Agamemnon and Achilles. In reading the first chapter, I never knew that the entire book was a poem because it's written in a storytelling style which I thought was quite interesting. I've always had an interest in Greek mythology, so this one is a must-read for me this summer.

the gods lie. by Kaori Ozaki


As a visual person and someone obsessed with anime and Japanese culture, I had to get my hands on this. I don't normally read manga's or comic books, but the title the gods lie caught my attention and I wanted to read it. Like some of the other books I mentioned, I'm only midst through the first chapter, but to summarise the blurb it's about a sweet boy named Natsuru Nanao who forms an unlikely friendship with Rio Suzumura, whom he spends a lot of time with. With great visuals, I find it visually stimulating and aesthetically satisfying :D


Also, during my relaxation I've begun writing a new fictional story, sampaguita my flower, in which you can read on my Wattpad here and written under my pen name Lily. It tells the story of a young teenage girl called Jasmine who is a bloodthirsty sadistic killer with the desire for vengeance, killing those who have committed crimes. She lives in the slums of Manila, but her background is relatively unknown. However, as she takes more lives, her past slowly unfolds and in each bloodbath, she recalls nostalgic memories of the one person she knew.

Sampaguita is the Philippine national flower and the name is apparently derived from the Spanish sumpa kita which translates to "I promise you".

It's my first story ever, so I'd really like for you to read it and give some feedback! (Not suitable for youths or those with a distaste in violence as it contains graphic content).

Poetry Blog
Since I like writing poetry, I've decided to create another blog which will be more poetry and short story blog. It will kind of be my portfolio, presenting my work in an aesthetic way! The link is over here but it is quite empty at the moment as I'm still working on writing my poems; other than that, I hope you like the design and some of my content. :D

Thanks for reading!

nicole ᵔᴥᵔ

2 comments

  1. I have seen the trailer of Lolita and I was curious afterwards. Well, I think it will be an interesting novel :) I have also read the summary of Odyssey as this was one of our topics in our English class. And it's really nice! Greek mythology is really something :)

    PS. I'm excited for your other blog! Would definitely follow you! :D

    Homed: Life in Sugar & Spice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! and I've always wanted to watch the film of Lolita :)

      - nicole ᵔᴥᵔ

      Delete

Thank you all for your lovely comments :) I will get back to most of you as soon as possible, so make sure you are checking back x

Instagram

nicole isabel. Theme by STS.